Housing Resources & Assistance



Housing, Mortgage, and Utility Assistance | Utility Assistance | Housing Options

Housing, Mortgage, and Utility Assistance

ACCESS HousingLimited funding for direct assistance funding in their Prevention Program. Best to call on the first of the month as new funds become available monthly. No walk-ins. Call 303.289.7078 or email [email protected].
Activated RespiteActivated Respite provides isolation/quarantine and low acuity medical step down for people experiencing homelessness with confirmed or suspected COVID-19 in various Denver motels and hotels.
Adams County Coalition for the Homeless COVID-19 Resources

Almost Home, Inc.: Adams County residents and families in need of housing assistance are encouraged to contact the Almost Home Housing Navigation Center. The center is open Mondays from 8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m., Wednesdays from 8:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m. and Fridays from 8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.

For assistance, email [email protected] or call 303.659.6199 to speak with our intake assistant and schedule a case management appointment.

Brighton Housing Authority (BHA): BHA develops and manages multi-family affordable housing, housing choice vouchers, a tenant based rental assistance program, and emergency housing assistance for those leaving a domestic violence situation. Call 303.655.2160 or visit the BHA website.
Brothers Redevelopment: Brothers Redevelopment is a nonprofit organization that provides housing, home modification and repair, and housing counseling on first-time home buying, home ownership, reverse mortgages, building credit, and avoiding mortgage default or eviction to low-income, elderly, and disabled residents.
Catholic Charities: Limited Rent/Mortgage and Utility Assistance. Phone appointments only. Call 720.377.1313 Monday-Friday, 8-8:45 a.m. to make an appointment. The recording will explain what funding is available. To receive any financial assistance, ALL clients must bring the following to the appointment: picture ID, current proof of address, proof of emergency, and proof of income. For rental assistance, a current lease and an eviction notice for the current month's rent (allowed back rent must be paid before an appointment is made) is also required. For utility assistance (Xcel Energy), the bill must be in the client's name, at least one day in arears, and total bill may not exceed $1,000.
Colorado Foreclosure HotlineTo contact a HUD-approved Colorado Foreclosure Hotline housing counselor, dial the toll-free number 877.601.HOPE (4673). Upon calling, you will reach a call center representative. The representative will ask you for your five-digit zip code and you will be transferred to a HUD-approved housing counseling agency in your area.
Colorado Housing and Finance Authority (CHFA)CHFA offers homebuyer education classes, low-interest loans for first time homebuyers, and down payment assistance.
Colorado Housing ConnectsWhether you rent or own, where you live is more than a roof over your head. It's home. When you have a question about your home, you want straight answers. Call 1.844.926.6632 to get access to reliable, trustworthy information regarding housing and fair-housing resources. Available to both renters and homeowners. NOTE: Bilingual representatives are available to assist you.
Colorado Legal Services (CLS)CLS provides low-income renters facing eviction free legal assistance. There is information on their website and an intake form for requesting legal aid.
Colorado PEAKThe fast and easy way to access benefit information, anytime and anywhere. PEAK is an online service for Coloradans to screen and apply for medical, food, cash, and early childhood assistance programs.
Commerce City Housing Authority (CCHA)CCHA creates and sustains housing in Commerce City for low-income residents and provides housing resources to help residents buy, rent, or improve their homes.
Critical Financial Assistance for Military Families Who Qualify: Operation Homefront assists active duty; deployed; veterans; or wounded, ill, or injured service members with overdue bills, repairs, or other critical family needs. 
Eviction and Foreclosure PreventionThere is an existing network of state agencies that provide homeless prevention services, including rental and mortgage assistance. The Department of Local Affairs (DOLA) has developed an Evictions Resources Map that can be used with 211 to help renters avoid eviction.
Growing HomeGrowing Home provides essential services (food, rental, and utility assistance) in-person during typical food pantry hours (Monday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-noon). For the quickest response, email [email protected].
211 Colorado's Online Resource SearchCall 211 or text your zip code to 898-211 to get connected with housing programs and programs that make rental payments for people who are at risk of eviction without assistance. Also included are rent supplement programs that provide assistance with ongoing monthly rental costs. Rent payment assistance programs may have age, income, disability, need or other eligibility requirements. 211 is also able to provide resources regarding food and other basic essentials that someone may need during this time.
Maiker Housing Partners: Maiker Housing Partners (formerly known as Unison Housing Partners or Adams County Housing Authority) develops affordable housing, provides housing choice vouchers, and offers emergency housing programs. To learn about Maiker Housing Partners’ programs, visit their website at maikerhp.org. For specific questions, contact Maiker by phone at 303.227.2075 or through email at [email protected].
Metro Denver Homeless Initiative Flex Fund: Can be used as a last resort for those needing the assistance. Any organization or provider that partners with OneHome, the Coordinated Entry System for the Metro Denver region, or is a member of the Metro Denver Continuum of Care (CoC), can submit a request to MDHI’s Flex Fund on behalf of eligible households experiencing a housing crisis in Metro Denver after all other options have been pursued and denied.
Multifamily Properties Subject to Federal Eviction MoratoriumsThis searchable database and map allow renters to identify if their home is covered by federal eviction moratoriums. These new tools contain data on millions of apartments in multifamily housing insured by the Federal Housing Administration or securitized by Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac, and millions more supported by the Low Income Housing Tax Credit, HUD, and/or USDA programs. The database and map are not comprehensive, do not include data on single-family rental homes of one to four units, and do not include all Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac multifamily mortgages. 
Questions and Answers for Office of Multi-Family Housing StakeholdersQuestions and Answers for Office of Multifamily Housing Stakeholders
Rent Payment Assistance - Broomfield FISHOffers limited, emergency rental assistance to prevent individuals and families from becoming homeless. Also provides information and referrals to other emergency resources. Assistance provided to Broomfield County residents only.
Salvation Army Housing NowThe Salvation Army partners with families experiencing homelessness by helping them to transition into long-term and stable housing by providing them with housing navigation, short term financial assistance, resources, and case management. People must be verifiably homeless: residing in place not meant for human habitation, emergency shelter, or in flight from domestic violence; and must be living in the Denver metro area. All potential participants are referred through the OneHome system after completing a Vi-SPDAT. For more information on how to complete a Vi-SPDAT, please call: 303.295.3366. Can also call at 303.295.3366.

General Utilities Assistance

Many utilities providers offer programs to assist households when they cannot pay their bills on time. Companies may offer a payment plan or temporary discount on your bill if you can pay some, but not all, of what you owe. Some companies also work with local non-profits to provide additional financial assistance to qualifying households. 

LEAP: The Colorado Low-income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP) is a federally funded program that helps eligible hard-working Colorado families, seniors and individuals pay a portion of their winter home heating costs (November through April). The energy assistance benefit is paid directly to the household energy supplier. If your income is up to 60% of the state median income level, you may qualify for heating assistance through LEAP.

Water Assistance for LEAP participants - CDHS received additional funding from the federal government to assist low-income households with their water services. People must be approved for LEAP during the November 1, 2022 - April 30, 2023, season and pay drinking water bills or waste water or sewer water bills directly to the water service provider. Services must be disconnected, facing disconnection, or have a past due amount on the bill.

Brighton Water Assistance ProgramUtility customers who qualify may receive $300 credit per year. Utility customers in need of assistance may apply online, or to request a paper application by emailing [email protected]. The Water Assistance Program is only available to City of Brighton residents.
Northglenn Water Assistance: Residents of Northglenn can apply for water assistance. Income criteria applies. Applications are reviewed that the beginning of each month. 
Thornton Water Assistance Program: Thornton Water customers and residents living in apartment complexes, homes manufactured home parks, condominiums and townhomes that receive water through the City of Thornton can apply for the program once per calendar year. Those who meet the program qualifications will receive a credit on their water account. For master meter water customers, the City gives the credit to the property owner or property management company. For information visit thorntonco.gov/community-connections/Pages/water-assistance or call 720.977.5815.
Westminster Water Bill Assistance Program: The Water Bill Assistance Program helps make water and sewer bills more affordable for low-income residents, by offering four different programs. These programs are available to Westminster residents who meet the qualifying income guidelines. 

Housing Options

Adams Mental Health Foundation: AMHF provides housing assistance to the mentally disabled. Call: 303.853.3467

Denver Housing Authority (DHA): DHA has a variety of housing programs for individuals, families, and people with disabilities. These programs include housing choice vouchers and affordable housing communities. For information on these programs visit the DHA website. For specific questions call 720.932.3000.

Family Homestead: Transitional housing is available to homeless families with at least one child under the age of 18 and one parent that is working full-time. The program lasts about 6 months and involves meeting with a case manager throughout the term. Call 303.623.6514 for more information. Must be able to verify homelessness, through eviction notice or similar type of documentation.

Hope House ColoradoAvailable to teen moms, ages 15-20. Hope House offers a residential program, which includes: a safe place to live for 16-20 months, parenting help, help with finishing school and going to college, human services assistance, and help starting an individual's career.

New Genesis SheltersThe Men’s program provides a sober living program and dormitory-styled housing to homeless men striving to become self-sufficient. 

The transitional housing program for single men, single women, and families provides an apartment or house. The residents must be working, paying rent, and saving for their permanent housing plan. The residents can stay in this program for up to two years, depending on the circumstances. They must also give back to the community by volunteering at the shelter. Call 303.831.4910 to learn more and place your name on the list.

Volunteers of America: Several housing locations for individuals, seniors, families, and people with disabilities.

Warren VillageWarren Village, located at 1323 Gilpin St. in Denver’s Capitol Hill neighborhood, offers low-income, single parents the chance to become economically and personally self-sufficient by providing affordable housing, quality on-site childcare, and supportive family services. Each resident has a private apartment and rent is approximately 30% of one’s income. All residents work closely with a family advocate to set and obtain goals. Residents must participate in a full-time activity of work or school or a combination of both, attend three life-skills classes each month, and give back two hours of community service. It also offers onsite childcare as an option to residents, while they work or go to school. The application process takes 6-8 weeks. However, it may take longer during this time of the coronavirus, so apply early to get on the waitlist.

NOTE: Applications can be downloaded from the website, printed, signed, scanned, and emailed to [email protected].